[lbo-talk] neurosurveillance

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 30 13:47:05 PST 2004

> lol. How on earth will we put the label of 'suspect' on individuals
without the
> whole apparatus of disciplinary powers that already exist or can be
created? We
> are all suspect according to CAPSII just by our desire to fly.

So you suggest getting rid of the entire apparatus of criminal justice system and state regulations? Welcome to Afghanistan or Ethiopia where every brave individual with enough fire power can do as HE (never SHE) pleases.

There is vast area between a fascist state and individualistic anarchy, apparently so dear to the US mind set. Most European countries are quite effective (more so than the US) in fighting crime and terrorism (yes, using state of the art technology) without violating civil rights of their citizens.

The point I was trying to make was quite simple - even if 100% accurate (which is not the case of P300), a technology that depends on hooking an individual to complicated machinery to "read" his mind cannot be used for mass surveillance for a very simple reason - hooking millions of people to complicated machinery is not possible within the time span than can yield any usable data (not to mention the amount of bitching that would genrate).

Hence I am not using much sleep over the prospect of this technology being used by the criminal justice system. This whole thing looks to me like another "campaign of fear" designed to scare up a few dollars from the already scared shitless US-ers (for more on that see Barry Glassner, _The culture of fear_)>

Wojtek