[lbo-talk] Kerry the pro-war candidate?

srobin21 at comcast.net srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 10:54:18 PDT 2004

Well, what does on call 40,000 more troops? Escalation.

What the last post ignores is that a war is likely to be reinvigorated after a Kerry election. For one thing, it will no longer be the war of Bush or the NeoCons and can be provided with a whole bunch of humanitarian rationalizations (As the Clinton Administration was good at doing). Further many of those organizations who are anti-war now, may back off (or change sides) with a Democrat in the White House.

A Kerry White House would be more likely to reinstitute the draft (many of the "progresive" dems in Congress already openly support this), with humanitarian and equalitarian rhetoric. This would be less likely as long as Rumsfeld is in charge of the Defense Department..

A Kerry Administration is more likely to broaden the war by bringing in the Western Europeans in a way that would be unthinkable under Bush. This, coupled with the escalation that sending in 40,000 more troops is not a pretty picture as far as the Iraqis and the draftees who get sent are concerned.