[lbo-talk] Cobb on CNN

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 3 09:18:29 PDT 2004

[a belated transcript of a Tuesday appearance]

WOODRUFF: Fascinating. Bill Schneider, thank you very much.

Well, as the nominee of the Green Party, David Cobb is guaranteed a spot on the ballot in 22 states, and the District of Columbia, now seven of those states are Bush-Kerry battle grounds. Green Party candidate David Cobb joins us now from San Francisco. Congratulations on getting the nomination of the Green Party.

DAVID COBB (G), PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Thank you, Judy.

WOODRUFF: What do you say to Ralph Nader who was clearly upset about losing this. Among other things, he said endorsing him would have meant higher visibility for the Green Party. He said it was -- it offers the party better fund raising opportunities, and on and on.

COBB: Well, I have nothing but absolute respect and admiration for Ralph Nader. As I've said many times, I'm a lawyer because of Atticus Finch and Ralph Nader.

Ralph Nader and I both absolutely agree on the need to break out of this corporate-controlled politics and the corporate-controlled nature of both the Democratic and the Republican Parties.

But, Judy, Ralph and I have a disagreement on the best way to do that. In this election cycle Ralph is running an independent campaign. It's his right to do that. And I think it's shameful that all the shenanigans are taking place to prevent Ralph Nader from being on the ballot as an independent. But myself and the Green Party are committed to building an independent political force to challenge the Democrats and the Republicans because there has to be an opposition party that will continue after the November election no matter who wins.

WOODRUFF: Well, he clearly thinks you're not challenging the Democrats enough. He says the fact that you're staying away from the states, or at least you've said you would stay away from the states where there's a close race, he says if you're trying building a political movement, you don't turn your backs on people in so-called close states. Is that what you're doing?

COBB: That is not what I'm doing. In fact, I plan on going to Pennsylvania and Ohio immediately to help to bolster ballot access drives in those states.

You know, Judy, what I've said is, I want to run a strong, aggressive and smart campaign that will both grow the Green Party and culminate with George W. Bush out of the White House. It's a very nuanced strategy. But it's one that I think is in the best interest of the country and it's in the best interest of the Green Party.

WOODRUFF: But aren't you really saying, David Cobb, that you're going to tread lightly when it comes to seriously challenging John Kerry?

COBB: Well, Greens tell the truth. And the truth of the matter is, that John Kerry voted for the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. John Kerry voted for the Patriot Act. John Kerry voted for NAFTA. John Kerry opposes single payer universal health care. John Kerry opposes raising the minimum wage to a living wage. I'm going to be willing to criticize John Kerry on taking positions that progressives cannot support, and that progressives would like to see enacted. That's the reason so many more progressives at the grassroots level are actually joining the Green Party.

At the same time, I'm going to acknowledge the truth of the matter that as bad as John Kerry is on all these issues, George W. Bush is qualitatively worse. The difference between John Kerry and George W. Bush may be nearly incremental, but it is not inconsequential. I trust the voters to hear the truth, and make up their own minds.

WOODRUFF: Let me quote to you from what one of the Green Party delegates said at your party convention this past weekend. He was obviously unhappy. He said, "this is a dark day. We've just nominated a white lawyer with a car salesman's smile. He might as well be a Republican."

COBB: Well, it was a very contentious convention. Tempers were high for many people. But, you know, Judy, I grew up in grinding poverty in San Leon, Texas. I've washed dishes. I've been a construction worker. I'm a genuine working class person who lived the American dream. You know, Greens are ordinary people trying to do something extraordinary which is to build a genuine movement that will take our country back from the corporate hooligans who have literally hijacked it.

I'm reaching out to Ralph Nader. I'm reaching out to Independents. I'm interested in what's in the best interest of the Green Party and the best interest of the country not just for this election cycle but what are we going to do in December and January and what are we going to do in 2005 and 2006. And I'm working very hard to make sure that the Green Party continues to be the electoral arm of the growing movement for peace, racial and social justice, economic democracy, and genuine ecology.

WOODRUFF: We hear you and we thank you for joining us. David Cobb, who is the brand-new nominee of the Green Party after this weekend's convention. We'll be talking to you throughout the election. Thank you very much.

COBB: Thanks, Judy. I encourage people to check us out on the web at VoteCobb.org.