[lbo-talk] words for the black community

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Jul 3 17:20:28 PDT 2004

You might be confused as to what this list is about: it's not about winners and losers; it's not about black/white; it's not a suffering contest.

It's a forum for discussion. I have found Dwayne's posts to be intelligent, rational, clear, well-written, and so forth. Sometimes I disagree with him. That's fine. The list is not about marching in lock step, but in seeing whether our collective intelligence can come up with anything better than what any one person can come up with. Most often this collective intelligence functions well and productively.

I cannot tell what your last post was about because of its defensiveness. Never mind about Cosby. Biography or no, none of us has any idea about who the guy really is. The larger, more interesting issue that was raised, was that of racism in the U.S. -- how it has shifted shapes in the last fifty years and how we need to address it now.

Leaving Kelly, Dwayne, Cosby, and your wife to the side for right now, what are your thoughts on this issue?

Joanna