[lbo-talk] Americas Leftists, Michael Moore, and Ralph Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jul 13 13:32:29 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] Americas Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore
>Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
>Tue Jul 13 07:51:36 PDT 2004
<snip>
>Backstabbers!
>
>America's Vichy Left vs. Michael Moore
>By Mark Ames ( editor at exile.ru )
<sni>
>In fact, the main cause for the demise of the American Left is much
>more sinister than that. The American Left is responsible for
>destroying the American Left. I don't mean that metaphorically. I
>mean quite literally that anytime the Left starts to get somewhere,
>you can be sure that a vigilante mob of other Leftists will rise to
>the occasion to crush it, to make sure they stay as marginalized and
>ineffective as always.

America has no organized left, unlike in India and Italy, to take just two examples. Many American leftists do behave exactly as Mark Ames charges them, but not toward Michael Moore, (who is worshipped by most American leftists as LBO-talk postings serve as evidence), but toward Ralph Nader.

Fahrenheit 9/11's cumulative gross is now about $80,121,002 (<http://movies.yahoo.com/boxoffice/latest/rank.html>"Weekend Box Office Actuals [U.S.]: Jul 9 - 11 Weekend"</a>). That's approximately the sale of 11 million tickets -- about 3.7% of the total US population of 293,729,072 (<http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/popclock>).

Since the announcement of his candidacy, Nader has polled in the 2-7% range of in the voter surveys (some of which polled registered voters, while others polled only likely voters <http://pollingreport.com/wh04gen.htm>) -- the total voting-age population was roughly 210 million individuals in 2000 ("Fact Sheet: The Demographics of Voting in America," <http://www.prcdc.org/summaries/voting/voting.html>).

Therefore, it is safe to say that Michael Moore and Ralph Nader enjoy comparable levels of support among the general public in the United States. In fact, it is probably immensely more difficult to receive 2.7% of the total votes of the eligible electorate who actually register and vote in a presidential election (as Nader did in 2000) than to get 4% of the US population to go see a very well-made entertaining movie. And yet, observe opposite reactions on the part of US leftists (as evidenced by LBO-talk responses):

* Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 is so popular, and anyone who criticizes it in any way is simply a loser.

* Ralph Nader is so unpopular, and anyone who supports him is simply a loser.

If US leftists became better at arithmetics, perhaps we might one day enjoy the presence of an organized US left, even one that would present a sharp challenge to the bipartisan consensus for empire.

>I cannot think of a single American Leftist in my lifetime as
>effective as Michael Moore, and if Fahrenheit 9/11 is objectively
>anything at all, it is objectively effective.
<snip>
>He has single-handedly managed to turn the Right-Wing brutocracy
>into a pack of whiny fags scrambling to get out of the way of the
>message that his movie Fahrenheit 9/11 brings, lest it smack them
>with such a powerful dose of cognitive dissonance that their skulls
>will burst wide open like that guy in Scanners.

The way some LBO-talkers are embracing a man who uses terms like "whiny fags" just because they agree with him on the virtue of Fahrenheit 9/11 is revealing.

That said, I, too, believe that Fahrenheit 9/11 will have an impact, but the main impact will be probably to do its share to help elect John Kerry:

Since the film is overwhelmingly focused on the George W. Bush administration, the film's shelf life -- as far as uses by anti-war activists are concerned -- will be shorter than Michael Moore's previous works. After the election day, it may be used by Democratic Party operatives against us, as a propaganda tool to tell us never to do anything that will help elect another Republican, for he may be the second coming of George W. Bush, even though that's not Moore's intention (Moore's embarrassing endorsement of Wesley Clark and cooperation with a Democratic Party front group MoveOn notwithstanding). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>