[lbo-talk] Americas Leftists, Michael Moore, and Ralph Nader

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jul 14 06:07:40 PDT 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 8:21 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Those who vote for him this year will do so mainly because Nader and
> Camejo oppose the occupations of Iraq and Palestine, which Kerry and
> Edwards support. It's as simple as that.

Simple indeed -- those who like their politics simple and purely symbolic will indeed vote for Nader. They will do so in full consciousness that, as has often been said, every vote for Nader (except in "safe states") is a vote for Bush.

Hence, Nader voters, who want the war to end, will in fact be voting to continue the war, which Bush will undoubtedly do. Maybe their politics are not so simple after all.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt