[lbo-talk] Re: uh oh dept.

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:26:54 PDT 2004

Luke said:

>Thanks for the first sensible words on the subject, Liza. I can understand
>Cox's anti-cop animus; after all, the poor guy had his picture posted on
>the
>local department's dart board. But why anyone would concur with his
>analysis
>is beyond me.

Oh. Unless my ego deceives me, I think this little jab's aimed at me.

>Yes, cops do (almost by definition) enforce the laws of the
>"ruling class." But, excluding the drug laws that for the most part
>rebound to
>the benefit of no one (including the bourgeoisie), most laws on the books
>are
>well-worth enforcing.

Laws that prevent the theft (or "theft") of property protect you from getting your CDs stolen and protect the capitalists from getting their property confiscated in myriad ways.

Laws that prevent sedition and conspiracy can be enforced to bust unions or freeze political activity.

Laws that prevent disturbing the peace can be enforced to move annoying protestors.

These are laws the cops are sworn to uphold.

So should a bunch of anarchists or demonstrators get arrested for destroying property or disturbing the peace or whatever, you'll be one of those people who cheer for the display of law and order, eh?

>Yes, many cops are either incompetent or authoritarian
>or corrupt (or some combination of the three). But such a state of affairs
>would obtain even in the closest relizable approximation of utopia.

I'm sorry, who was arguing that we must have no police whatsoever? Don't _think_ Carrol's gone anarchist on us . . . .

For all that cops act in ways, due to their jobs, that do pit them against their own class, they're a necessary evil at this point. I wouldn't have given a second thought to calling the cops had I been in Doug & Liza's position; I myself couldn't have handled it, so I'd have brought on the fuzz for that particular problem.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has to offer. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.