[lbo-talk] poverty pimp...

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 20 15:40:37 PDT 2004

budge <budge at el-pleasant.org>
>...i've never heard sowell or williams tell
the truth in my whole life... I've read that Sowell early in his academic career was a marxist. True? Cite found on a great bibliography, http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Users/sefd0/bib/marx.htm A MARX BIBLIOGRAPHY (with sections on the Young Hegelians and 20th-century Marxists) Sowell, T. (1963) ‘Karl Marx and the freedom of the individual’, Ethics 73

http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/titles/7077.html Poverty Knowledge: Social Science, Social Policy, and the Poor in Twentieth-Century U.S. History Alice O'Connor http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/chapters/s7077.html "There is nothing like this superb history and assessment of systematic social science concerned with poverty. Written by a historian with uncommon vantages on policy ideas, the book powerfully situates what, and how, we know within the dynamics of ideology, power, and interest that have characterized twentieth-century American liberalism. Richly researched and arrestingly composed, it informs policy history as well as options for the future."--Ira Katznelson, Columbia Univeristy

"Poverty Knowledge is an insightful and incisive account of poverty research since the nineteenth century. Alice O'Connor's disgust with the use of research to stigmatize the poor comes through powerfully and clearly. Critical history at its best, the book should also be read by sociologists, anthropologists, political scientists, economists, and welfare and antipoverty researchers--as well as teachers in these fields."--Herbert J. Gans, Columbia University

Author: Scott, Daryl Michael. Title: Contempt and pity : social policy and the image of the damaged Black psyche, 1880-1996 / Daryl Michael Scott. URL: http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=acls;cc=acls;idno=heb00575.0001.001;view=toc Publisher: University of North Carolina Press, Place of publication: Chapel Hill : Date of publication: c1997.

Michael Pugliese