[lbo-talk] Kerry's "girlie pitch"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 28 09:34:27 PDT 2004

New York Post [Page Six] - July 28, 2004

BEN GOES TO BAT FOR KERRY

BEN Affleck has come out swinging in defense of John Kerry's awkward pitch at Fenway Park. Kerry's "girlie pitch," as some are calling it, bounced in the dirt in front of home plate before the Red Sox-Yankees game Sunday, making thousands of Democrats wince. Bill Clinton once spent a whole afternoon practicing for his pitch at Baltimore's Camden Yards, and George W. Bush perfected his hurling skills as owner of the Texas Rangers. Would Kerry's timid toss cost him votes? "C'mon, he had rotator cuff surgery," Affleck told PAGE SIX at Jillians, a pool hall in the shadow of Fenway. And what about the smattering of boos that greeted the candidate? "There are Republicans even in Massachusetts," Affleck said. "I was there and I didn't see anyone booing. Let me put it this way: I think Sen. Kerry is gonna carry Massachusetts." The star, the most prominent celebrity stumping for Kerry at the convention, added that he's in no hurry to pursue a rumored run for office: "That's a nice idea, but if the press are tough on me right now, I can only imagine what it would be like if I was running."