[lbo-talk] Bush Using Drugs to Control Depression, Erratic Behavior

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 17:40:29 PDT 2004

There's no shame in taking ADs, and they can help you function more calmly, improve your memory, and level your judgment -- it's far better than serious depression. I don't knwo of any ADs that have the imputed effects.SSRIs can reduce your libido, other can cause nausea. Be that as it may, I would not want to see members of this list join in the stigmatization of treatment for mood disorders that is all too common in our society.

Btw on the legal point, it's not slander if it's true, unless it it's defamation per se, which goes to imputation of a crime, a loathsome disease, unchastity, or words affercting a person's business, trade, profession, or calling. That's the old common law rule, actual details vary by state. It might be invasion of privacy. But Bush is of course a public figure.

This kind of stuff doesn't usually come out while the President is in office - if ever. The article cites the example of Nixon but there are others, such as Kennedy's serious medical condition. If this info is even partly true, Bush must have some highly placed enemies who are leaking this stuff. (If this were untrue and/or Bush were not a public figure, such allegations would give rise to a slander or an invasion of privacy lawsuit). Steve