[lbo-talk] Barack Obama

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 12:22:31 PDT 2004

Even Carrol thinks he's great -- his doubt is that one good man could make a difference. Well, I share that doubt to some extent. But no one made Wayne Morse the point man of the DP either. They have Obama. I'm not the only person who thinks he might be a viable candidate for President within a decade. Although I am advocating voting, indeed, campaigning for Kerry this time around, I am under no illusions about the DP, I just want back to the usual horrors. But Obama offers better, and shouldn't we celebrate good news when it occurs?

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> He'll have to compromise in the Senate, but it's hard to imagine him selling out.

I'll accept your descrition and evaluation of Obama -- and still argue that the only material difference he will make in U.S. politics is increase the vote for the "other" Democrats. At best, he'll be another Wayne Morse, who as far as I know never won a Senate vote. Obama won't sell out; he'll speak for the right things. And the same old government policies of the DP (as described by Michael in reference to JFK on Pen-L) will always triumph.

Carrol