[lbo-talk] lost in translation...not translating?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 06:32:39 PDT 2004

> Doug:
> > You're not the only one. Liza & I liked it too, and I don't like a
> > lot of movies.
>
> Same here. Among the things I liked about the film was the almost
> total absence of a moral story and emotions (a signature of American
> literature and film) - just a slow progression of events devoid of any
> "deep meaning" - which created a nice sense of detachment and
> alienation. I guess that does not sail very well with most of the
> US-ers who love morality plays.
>
> Wojtek

Yes. I enjoyed "Lost's" dreamy atmosphere, punctuated here & there by Murray's low-key comic play (though he does cut loose in the karaoke scene, doing an updated version of his Nick the Lounge Singer from his SNL days). More European in tone than American, which should have killed it here, but surprisingly didn't. Guess Murray's comedy backlog of "Stripes," "Caddyshack" and "Ghostbusters" lured more than a few rubes into the tent.

Now, the film I don't get is Gus Van Sant's "Elephant," a dramatic take on the Columbine shootings. I've never seen so many people walk for so long in a film -- endless one-takes following characters who are never fleshed out through numerous hallways, school yards, etc. And why do the Eric Harris/Dylan Klebold characters (who are exposed as lovers toward the end) go postal? We never know. There's a scene where a jock hits the Harris character with a spitball, but that's it. Forty or so minutes later, bloodbath. Sensitive kid.

DP