[lbo-talk] Kansas as angst indicator

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue Jun 22 19:26:46 PDT 2004

On Jun 22, 2004, at 6:25 PM, Carl Remick wrote:

> But I must say I still don't understand why Kansas and Americans at
> large are as hopelessly deluded as they are, so willing to focus their
> fury on trumped up social issues instead of real material concerns.

Could part of the answer be that, these days, radicals are not giving Americans any clear ideas about how to advance their "real material concerns" outside the capitalist system? (Or maybe they are, but I've missed them.) More and more, it seems to me, radicals are focusing on the social issues, too, to the neglect of radical economic ideas.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt