[lbo-talk] Kovel on Nader-Camejo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 24 12:56:05 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Kovel is a very serious red-green who's run
>> against Ralph in Green primaries *from the left.*
>
>An argument is not confirmed (or even particularly strengthened) by the
>fact that its proponent is an admirable person, just as an argument is
>not weakened by the fact that its proponent is an asshole.

I can understand your attachment to the second part of this assertion, but I put the header on to clarify/emphasize the history and perspective of the author: someone who's thought long & hard about capitalism, nature, and politics, who's acted on those thoughts, and who doesn't have a habit of apologizing for power. I.e., someone who inhabits a well-defined position, a position that's relevant to evaluating the argument.

What, are you some kind of new critic, who believes in the independence of the text?

Doug