[lbo-talk] the imperialism of the liberal

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:11:11 PST 2004

John Lacny wrote:-

"People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!"

Yes, I agree, and I further insist that we strive to defeat ALL its running dogs, including John Kerry the entire DLC confab. The Democratic Party is at this point essentially a counterinsurgency operation against the American people, creating a rationale for the postponement of genuine transformative change.

Your dismissal of John Pilger as 'not caring about' the American working class is an example of the depths of intellectual debasement the Anybody But Bush crowd will descend to to rationalize. This is like saying 'Noam Chomsky doesn't case about the crisis in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, since he has barely written a word about the subject.' Pilger's indictment of Liberals as imperialisms 'willing executioners' (my words) is sound. Indeed, Pilger's view is informed by his experience with the British detachment of the DLC, New Labor. It is not a matter of 'foreginers' failing to appreciate the gravity of the historical moment in America. All our fates as intertwined.

You talk of the important task of building a movement, 'inside the belly of the beast', to fight for an 'improvement' reveals also the meagre aspirations of the ABB crowd. You seek mere 'improvements'. Even while I recognize that you probably used the term advisedly, it is still very indicative of the reasons why ABBers find Kerry palatable - because he is an expression of the fact that indeed, most liberals in the Western world are thoroughly complicit in the crimes of their charmless comrades 'the conservatives' who give 'business as usual' a bad name and only seek to tinker with the status quo, but not to make any fundamental changes.

Joe W.