[lbo-talk] Steve Martin versus The Passion

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 10:32:13 PST 2004

> I think the US role in Iraq over the last 14 years has been largely
> destructive, but it's hard for me to see how a reasonable person could
> prefer no involvement. Saddam would still rule over Iraq (and probably
> Kuwait and Saudi Arabia as well) with a host of nuclear weapons that would
> likely ensure regional dominance for some time.
>
> -- Luke

The only way that would've happened was if it had helped US/Israeli/Turkish interests. Remember (for so many in the mainstream have forgotten or pretend not to know), we allowed Saddam to make and use WMD when he was on the "right side" of history. If he had never invaded Kuwait, kept playing along with the West and continued to sit on jihadists and nationalists, he'd probably still be in power and there would be little concern over his crimes.

In other words, there was no chance that Saddam was gonna be an independent powerhouse. His removal was the logical end to a clear imperial policy.

DP