[lbo-talk] the cult of Putinism

" Chris Doss " nomorebounces at mail.ru
Mon Mar 15 00:15:16 PST 2004

Hi Grant,

You wrote:

A capitalist class, whether it's 19th C. Brits, or 21st C. Brits, Russians, Australians, Brazilians or whoever, will use whatever excuses it has at hand, to justify using the state to protect its investments (present or future). The so-called "national interest" is a good old standby.

--- You're missing something. First, until recently with UES' grab of the Georgian energy system, there were virtually no Russian investments in Georgia (or any other investments). Actually Russia subsidizes Georgia's economy at a net loss. UES is not working for profit.

Georgia has been on the brink of civil war for the past decade. Any civil war in Georgia could well spread to neighboring Abkhazia, Dagestan, and _Chechnya_. There are three secessionist areas (not "enclaves") in Georgia, two of which want to merge with Russia. BTW those "Russian" military bases on those areas are manned 90% by Georgians. If Russia folds up those bases, the local residents will see that as a go-ahead to Tbilisi to use armed force.

I saw a "debate" last night between Sakkashvili and Zhirinovsky. The funniest thing I have seen in weeks.

As an aside, if there is anything I have learned from the fSU, it is that "national determination movements" are quite often a very bad idea.