[lbo-talk] Re: Orwell (Coming back to the list....)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Mar 22 17:15:25 PST 2004

Brad DeLong wrote:
>...But a critique of _Animal Farm_? What's to critique? (Besides,
>that is, the declaration that Stalin on the one hand and Truman and
>Attlee on the other are morally equivalent.)...

Merely the central point of the book, that's all! (taking "Stalin," "Truman," and "Attlee" as synechdoches for their respective ruling classes).

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)