[lbo-talk] Walmart

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Mar 24 07:56:43 PST 2004

This last weekend I participated in a forum on Wal-Mart. A large number of Wal-Mart workers showed up to vigorously defend their employer. They were obviously working-class people and not professional spokesman.

Several mentioned their salaries. I responded that given their obvious intelligence, they deserved a far better income. Their answer was that Wal-Mart was the only job that they could find.

Is the Chico behavior that common -- that Wal-Mart confined a retinue of such devoted workers who would volunteer a Sunday afternoon to defend their employer?

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu