[lbo-talk] "Cheer the Fuck Up"

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 2 09:06:30 PDT 2004

At 12:51 AM 5/2/2004, Ted Winslow wrote:
>C.G. Estabrook wrote:
>
>>Where (as the shrinks would say) is the excess affect coming from, Doug?
>>Yoshie/Slavoj seem to me to be making important points here about pleasure
>>and duty. And -- more importantly -- they seem to be right. --CGE
>
>What's mistaken, let alone "totalitarian," about the idea that happiness
>is doing what we ought to do? In any event, the soldiers in Iraq were
>behaving more in accord with the ethics of Foucault and Zizek than with
>those of Aristotle and Kant, weren't they? "Violent transgression."
>
>Ted

I guess Yoshie wanted to engage, as usual, in a form of ad hominem. Here, she said to Doug, your own hero, Zizek, says something that makes you look like a hypocrit. You support Zizek's work, but fail to live up to Zizek's critique.

Now, isn't that a lovely approach to take to principled discourse?

But further, I see no connection between what doug said, "Cheer the fuck up!" and what Zizek says about how, in a permissive society, totalitarian authority has been reconfigured from "Do your duty because you must! You can, because you must (Kant)" to "You must because you can!"

It appears to me that you have confused Zizek's criticism, imagining it to be Zizek's ethics. Zizek writes in the essay, "You May!":

"Obedience to the master allows you to transgress everyday moral rules: all the dirty things you were dreaming of, everything you had to renounce when you subordinated yourself to the traditional, patriarchal, symbolic Law you are now allowed to indulge in without punishment, just as you may eat fat-free salami without any risk to your health."

IOW, Zizek words here are critical of the soldiers.

Back to Doug. Please explain how Doug's concern that people not to be so pessimistic about their analyses of the successes of left social movements is a command to "Do you duty and enjoy it!"

What duty has Doug insisted on? Where has he said, "You must because you can!"?

Kelley