[lbo-talk] RE: Four more years

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 01:52:37 PDT 2004

> Well, if they do cancel elections, I suspect they
> will get the same result as their Iraq policy:
> revolt. For which reason, the rational part of the
> capitalist class will pull on their leash before
> that happens. I mean, the Bushies do seem to be
> running the gauntlet of incompetence...to their
> pitiful end.
>
> Joanna

My take on all this is that pressure to institute martial law will come from the military after another terrorist attack. If the attack is before the election, elections are cancelled. If the attack is after the election, then either Bush or Kerry will preside over the imposition of martial law.

I don't think it's something that either of them would want to do. They just won't feel they have a choice. After Iraq, the military is outraged, and it'll insist on calling the shots.