[lbo-talk] Re: Berlusconi next? and John Kerry's options

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 13 05:52:36 PDT 2004

>A rationally ethical person would also flip-flop, wouldn't she?
>Given that we face dilemmas whose nature alters with time, the
>least worst alternative is always changing. Our own decisions and
>actions have to change with it. I don't know how much, if any, of
>Kerry's opportunism can be explained in this way, but I don't think
>moral absolutism provides a rational basis for judgments of
>unethical opportunism.
>
>Splitting the social world into a set of equally demonic "enemies"
>(e.g. the only difference between Kerry and Bush is that Kerry is a
>more clever and, therefore, worse demon) and a set of equally
>angelic "victims" is another expression of unmastered sadism.
>
>Ted

If American liberals and leftists who were determined to vote for Kerry _no matter what_ could overcome their moral absolutism which Ted argues is rooted in "unmastered sadism," flip-flop to the left in response to changing circumstances, and at least come to the position that they will vote for Nader _unless_ Kerry pursues the "Zapatero option," I'd very much welcome such a flip-flopping. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>