[lbo-talk] fundraiser

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 20 07:16:16 PDT 2004

I'm doing my WBAI fundraiser this afternoon, 4-6 PM NYC time. If you've got any inclination to give the station money, please pledge during my slot so my numbers look good. I've edited all the interviews, and I must say, they're pretty damned fine.

WBAI is at 99.5 FM and <http://wbai.org>.

Details -------

"State of the Empire" - a look at Bush's America, at home and abroad. Guests (in order of broadcast):

* Gary Younge, New York correspondent of The Guardian (and son of Barbadian immigrants to Britan) on politics and civil liberties in the U.S., comparisons of the Patriot Act to British policy around Northern Ireland, and race relations in the U.S. vs. UK

* Cynthia Enloe, famous for her gender analyses of the military, on masculinity and the Bush administration and torture in Iraq (what does it mean that so many of the prominent accused are women?)

* George Monbiot, author of "Manifesto for a New World Order" (New Press, April 2004), on the U.S., Iraq, the UN, and the WTO