[lbo-talk] Barack Obama

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 08:48:29 PST 2004

um . . . was my response unjustified?

you're right. it IS boring. and more than being boring, it's counterproductive. which is why i'm tired of hearing the old "his religion makes me uncomfortable" lines. we need to stay focused.

and unlike kelley, i'm not yet prepared to cut obama loose and say he's nothing but another reactionary. the first rule of organizing i learned is to "meet people where they're at [sic]". maybe we'd like obama to be further left, but he's running for statewide office in illinois.

unless we're going to eschew electoral politics altogether, we need to acknowledge that the problem is an organizing problem, and you can't get too far out from your membership. i find eschewing electoral politics altogether a more coherent solution than year after year running can't-win ego-maniacs like nader (for whom i voted in 2000, btw), and yet i'm not prepared to let go of electoral politics altogether, because the only way to do that and have it make sense (that i can see) is to take the same line capitalism does toward growth in developing countries: yeah, it gets worse (much much worse), first, but then it gets better. honest!

peace