[lbo-talk]Maximise or satisfice?

robert mast mastrob at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 10:08:06 PDT 2004

The is the best way to use the word "stupid". Stupid about what ? Stupid about what is best for humanity. It is not so much about abstract intellectual function as about historical,political , economic and social understanding. I think we can say the great mass of Americans are failing, getting a D- grade at best, in their understanding of history.

Charles hit an important nail on the head. I take it that people generally are born as equals, anywhere on earth. They quickly become differentiated and unequal in capitalist society due to matters of class, discrimination based on biological and cultural characteristics, and "stupidity about what is best for humanity." The U.S. is a society in continual "natural" motion, as I think are all societies, so what is now a D- grade for the working class could raise in the future (can't go much lower) if some educational things happened. Since we can't count on the educational institutions (schools, faith, media), we have to rely on our own creativity. There must be new efforts and experiments in class struggle education. How else can the working class raise its D- grade average?

Bob -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041001/f8a7a30f/attachment.htm>