[lbo-talk] Vince Lombardi (Out of Iraq)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 5 11:12:05 PDT 2004

James Heartfield wrote:

>Persuading people to support John Kerry does not sound like winning
>anything to me.
>It sounds like dissolving your critical voice into the pro-war mainstream.

I really don't know how many times I have to say this, but let me try once more. I don't expect much from a Kerry regime - very little, in fact. Just some better domestic policies, which could make a real difference in some people's lives. And I think it's very important that the gang of loony theocrats that started the Iraq war must be defeated. But I also think the inevitable disappointment of a Kerry admin will be a good agitational tool. Too much systemically bad stuff is blamed on Bush, and if it were to continue past January 20, it would be revealed as systemic and not personal. So the real political work would begin on Nov 3.

So, in the soundbite I've typed like 400 times now: marginally better policies and a better discursive and organizing environment. That's all. But this will be ignored or forgotten and I'll hear once again that Kerry's my fair-haired boy or some such stupid shit.

Doug