[lbo-talk] Nader and his detractors

hari.kumar at sympatico.ca hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 9 16:41:47 PDT 2004

Message: 6 Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 17:55:58 -0400 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Nader and his detractors Yeah, I feel like I learned something in the last 8 years: that Nader failed to deliver on the promise of movement-building, and that some Republican administrations can be very very bad.

You negelected to quote this bit:

>But that contrast indirectly brings up the first of the unpleasant
>reservations about Nader: his refusal to address any of what pundits
>call the social issues. While Buchanan thrives on them, Nader is
>silent. He refuses to comment on abortion or affirmative action, and
>ducks any discussion of race relations, surely one of the most
>important political issues of the last, oh, 200 years. And he's
>rather repellently dismissed concerns about gay and lesbian rights
>as "gonadal politics," as if they weren't fundamental issues of both
>civil rights and human social life.

Doug:
>And that contemptuous dismissal of gonads leads to another
>reservation about Nader: his humorless, hair-shirt personality. Of
>course, his joylessness is his own concern, but it informs his
>politics, which exude an austerity that sharply limits his appeal,
>mainly to the affluent and the voluntarily poor. Successful
>politicians, mainstream or radical, have to project optimism and a
>sense of liberation, rather than a hectoring tone that seems to
>promise only self-denial.
>
>Nadernomics

Hari: I guess I am a bit like James H here; perhaps it is our familiarity with Brith S-D politics of the Labour party. Or - Perhaps I really do not understand the nuances of USA politics. This is porbably futile - but.............

......But, whoever said that Nader was the bees knees? Surely, it is a matter of building a Front that can begin to challenge the apparent 2-party lock-hold?

I know that I could not expalin my viewpoint adequately last time I trid this here, so I do expect to be patted or twacked on the head again!

Anyway, Your comments on Nader above, are probably are very accurate - So?

In a variation of the 'swim in the same sea' metaphor as the fishes metaphor from Lenin (I think), it is a matter as I see it - of building a sea-reservoir behind a dam which is not 'off-limits' to the likes of you & I (If I may be so bold as to equate our goals for just a short term moment anyway!).

After all, all of you keep saying that you all know how awful Kerry is anyway...

I know, that many of you say that it is just such a terrible thing to contemplate - that Bush might get in. But - Why do you seriously think that Kerry getting in, would enable you to organise for anything beyond the Dem muzzle? Cheers & Wanting Enlightenment, H