[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Oct 23 08:49:35 PDT 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Kozak wrote:
>
>> Doug Henwood writes:

>> > Life's too short.
>>
>> But having to deal with trojans, viruses and crashes is just one of
>> life's simple pleasures?
>
> Don't have any, so far. OS X almost never crashes, and if an individual
> program freezes or quits, everything else is undisturbed. And it's so
> pretty. If I want to, I can get down to the UNIX level, but why would I
> want to type command lines full of pipes and switches and parms and all
> that crap I'm happy to have left way behind?

well, separation/protection of kernel space has been in windows too for a long, long time now and i am sorry to admit, its a fairly stable platform. w.r.t apple vs windows everyone's mileage varies and i will stay out of that. however: (a) if you use IE on mac, you are probably still at some risk, (b) if you are using safari, afaik, its based on KHTML, which IMHO while albeit inferior to Gecko (mozilla's rendering engine), is open source. gecko and mozilla are way more HTML/CSS compliant and feature rich. all these other browsers/engines are the naders of the world ;-) ;-).

also, don't knock the command line -- when the sexiness of the apple eye candy wears off, you will start valuing efficiency again!!

--ravi