[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Oct 23 09:51:19 PDT 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, joanna bujes wrote:

> ravi wrote:
>
> >also, don't knock the command line -- when the sexiness of the apple eye
> >candy wears off, you will start valuing efficiency again!!
> >
> I don't mind the command line. The only problem is that it leads grown
> men to wipe out their directories. You think you're in directory X when
> you're in directory Y -- You say thrash them all! The OS says, are you
> sure?, you say, sure I'm sure. And that's that.

I hear these stories about this, but in every unix variant I've ever used, you can include the current directory in the prompt (even DOS does this, as I recall). It seems like that would discourage people from trashing the wrong directory. (The only time I have mistakenly deleted a directory was with mis-clicks with a mouse in a GUI.)

Miles