[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Sat Oct 23 10:12:31 PDT 2004

joanna bujes writes:

[...]

> I don't mind the command line. The only problem is that it leads grown

> men to wipe out their directories. You think you're in directory X when

> you're in directory Y -- You say thrash them all! The OS says, are you

> sure?, you say, sure I'm sure. And that's that.

> I've never heard of that happening with a GUI -- there seems to be this

> level of visual reality check...

Saw something almost that bad earlier this year - someone accidentally dragged+dropped a directory on a server to a random location - those working on stuff below that were quite upset! He probably wouldn't have made the same mistake at a cmdline because of the caution that engenders. I agree that "are you sure" msgs are worthless; but file versioning/undelete/undo is quite feasible.

John