[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 24 09:55:44 PDT 2004

ravi wrote:

>also, don't knock the command line -- when the sexiness of the apple eye
>candy wears off, you will start valuing efficiency again!!

It's been 18 years, and it hasn't given any sign of wearing off.

I got a CP/M computer in 1981. It was fun to have a real computer, but when the Mac came along I lost all interest in command lines. I love good industrial design. I don't think it's just eye candy - it makes work more pleasant and life more beautiful. There's so much ugly crap around these days that it's really wonderful to work on beautiful machines. It's a political economy issue as well as an aesthetic issue - modern American ugliness is in large part produced by cost minimization/profit maximization. Yeah, this titanium Powerbook I'm typing on cost more than a Dell would, but I'd have to live with its boxy ugliness.

Doug