[lbo-talk] JDK runs on FreeBSD!!!

suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp suzume at mx82.tiki.ne.jp
Tue Oct 26 19:43:33 PDT 2004

On 25 oct. 04, at 22:41, Jon Johanning wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2004, at 7:46 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>
>> Also, many of my open source comrades are unhappy with what they see
>> as the proprietary nature of Apple on the machine end. That is, they
>> wonder why they should develop for a platform that requires you to
>> purchase a vendor specific type of hardware to run?
>
> Thanks for this insight (and the URLs). As I was beginning to suspect,
> what we have is basically a political set-to rather analogous to the
> moderate/radical Left one in the macro political world. The open
> source people are damned if they are going to support the corporate
> giant Apple, just as the Nader and points-to-the-left-of-Nader people
> hate the DP with a passion.

Plus the fact that historically speaking, the platform where you'd have the most development tools to create OS software was unix and co, just because it is much older and that most of the OS gurus now created the infrastructure of what exists now in OS on unixes.

Now OSX offers something different and a huge lot of porting is taking place because Darwin as well as other technologies are available. Java for ex is included and integrated in OSX, unlike Windows.

OOo is not acceptable to "normal" OSX users because it does not fit into the OSX experience. But NeoOffice/J(ava) does, double clicking and mac menus are here, no font issues etc. Cocoa emacs is here too.

There is a huge number of developers who are starting to consider user experience as part of the app when they think of making OSX ports.

> Apparently, as a prospective Kerry voter and Mac user, I'm on the
> moderate side of both conflicts. Obviously this says something deep
> about my personality.

OS is not anymore synonymous with command line and Xwindow... You can be a radical Jon ;)

JC Helary

_______________________ Jean-Christophe Helary traductions japonais-français helary at eskimo.com