[lbo-talk] Eat shit and die, was United against a Pro-War Democrat

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Sep 23 20:27:23 PDT 2004

At 07:45 AM 9/23/2004, you wrote:
>Meanwhile, Congressman Tom Lantos, D-San Mateo, who is running for
>his 13th term, admits mistakes have been made in Iraq, but doesn't
>think troops should leave.

>Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that Kerry, the whole of the Democrats
>including Feinstein and Lantos, both classic liberals with a straight
>streak (pro-Israel to the bone), think the war on Iraq was okay? There
>is something intentionally wrong about the complete lack of opposition
>to the war from inside the beltway, and inside the Democratic party.

not really odd at all. back in the good/bad old days of the 1960/70s it wasn't just the right wing that had contempt for liberals. the new left hated them, too. "liberal" became a dirty word. liberals supported the war in vietnam, just as they're supporting the national war today, be it against drugs, muslims, terrorists, or the third world victim de jour. liberals were spineless, duplicitous, wishy-washy -- everything you see in the kerry campaign today.

what binds these liberals together is their fear of and hatred for democracy. its the thread that runs from the founding fathers, via the public relations industry (invented by edward bernays, nephew of sigmund freud), via walter lippman, and so forth. their goal is to keep the running of society as far from the hands of the people as possible, by manipulation. hence, the development of the most powerful propaganda machine the world has ever seen: the United States.

to be against war is to admit the people have a say in their own destiny.