[lbo-talk] Russia just about brings Kyoto into force, maybe

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 08:18:30 PDT 2004

--- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: But opponents said Russia was likely to be the loser.

"The Academy of Science confirms its position that the protocol is not effective and gives us no advantages," the head of the academy's institute on climate change and ecology, Yuri Izrael, told the cabinet meeting.

-- (Sorry for overpost, I'm outta here)

I'm really surprised. I guess Illarianov really was playing bad cop.

The statement about the Academy of Sciences is somewhat incorrect. The original study by the Russian Academy of Sciences (where I work, by the way) said that the Kyoto argument was bunk. Then a second group of RAS scientists issued a contradictory report.

===== Nu, zayats, pogodi!