[lbo-talk] Argument

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 15:26:13 PDT 2005

I'm not sure I understand your point. ARe you saying there is no point in discussing anything, and attempting to say what you think is true with reasons is some sort of signof moral or spiritual or psychological deficiency? Sounds like.

Just FYI, my business is "winning arguments," that is, presenting reasons to courts that will persuade them to do things they I want for my clients. Sometimes it works.

Maybe your point is Humean, that we are moved by passion not reason, and that in fact reason never gives us any reason to do anything. Or anyway fails to motivate. Perhaps so, and generally thsi may be the case. But if you take this to an extreme there is no point in non rhetorical discussion whatsoever. Do you really think so?

For my part, I have been persuaded by a handful of arguments in my life. One about the existence of singular causality (never mind), therefore the falsity of the D-N model of explanation (also never mind). I was persuaded by Hayek about the needs to abolish markets and by Marx about the needs for the working class to abolish classes. I was persuaded by experience and history that liberalism, was a good idea and that Marxism was obsolete. I once persuaded a student that her argument abortion was fallacious. This aware rare, though.

I disagree with ou about afanatics. They are the most ferorious debaters in my experience. SOme of us, perhaps less certain,like to discuss because we hope we might learn things. Maybe you are not in that group.