[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 26 14:31:17 PDT 2005

> When I went to the Czech Republic, the women were off the hook, but their
> boyfriends almost always looked like complete waste cases...same there?
> Why?

You can see similar sights in Greenpoint, Brooklyn - which is NYC's Polish ghetto.

The explanation, imho, is a particular form of sexism that is wide spread in Eastern Europe, which views "taking care of one's appearance" as an artifice designed to make person look sexually attractive to others. Only young and unmarried women can do that publicly. If older women do it, they are seen as "sluts," and if men do it - they are seen as gay. In fact, men do not have to do anything "artificial" to be attractive - they just "are." That pertains not only to clothes, but personal hygiene as well.

Wojtek