[lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 18:28:22 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> One of my students wanted to date me, too. But, there are rules (and
> they are good rules) and I respected them enough to wait til he was no
> longer a student--not just no longer in my class, but graduated from
> the university. It's the least any intelligent human being can do,
> rules or no rules. If, by 81, you have not figured out that you have
> the upper hand in the classroom and that responding to their come ons
> is unprofessional, well..... this guy's not too bright and I'm not
> going to defend him. As a SUNY professor, you get training in the
> policy and you know the rules. There's no excuse. I don't care whether
> he pecked her on the nose or went down on her until he got lockjaw. I
> don't care whether they had missionary sex or she rode him hard and
> put him away wet. I don't care if SUNY says it's ok to fuck your
> student. He's an idiot.

Yeah well.... as a former idiot....

There are two places you meet people in life: at school and at work. If you can't have sex with those people, that doesn't leave much.

I understand about the power relations. I do. I'm not saying it's not an issue. I'm just not sure that it's as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

Joanna