[lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:26:37 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: joanna To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 6:28 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

> snitsnat wrote:
>

>> One of my students wanted to date me, too. But, there are rules (and
>> they are good rules) and I respected them enough to wait til he was
>> no longer a student--not just no longer in my class, but graduated
>> from the university. It's the least any intelligent human being can
>> do, rules or no rules. If, by 81, you have not figured out that you
>> have the upper hand in the classroom and that responding to their
>> come ons is unprofessional, well..... this guy's not too bright and
>> I'm not going to defend him. As a SUNY professor, you get training
>> in the policy and you know the rules. There's no excuse. I don't
>> care whether he pecked her on the nose or went down on her until he
>> got lockjaw. I don't care whether they had missionary sex or she
>> rode him hard and put him away wet. I don't care if SUNY says it's
>> ok to fuck your student. He's an idiot.
>
> Yeah well.... as a former idiot....
>
> There are two places you meet people in life: at school and at work.
> If you can't have sex with those people, that doesn't leave much.
>
> I understand about the power relations. I do. I'm not saying it's not
> an issue. I'm just not sure that it's as cut and dry as you make it
> out to be.
>
> Joanna

It's an isolated and fearful society we live in. For some, the only people they can feel comfortable around are folks they meet everyday, like the neigbors in the apartment complex, work, or school.

Not only is it pitiful, but it's a misguided sense of security to boot.

That person they meet everyday could be stranger and more dangerous than any stranger on the street, which is demonstrated by the fact that the majority of homicide victims (in the U.S.) knew the person that murdered them, even if only through casual, minimal contact.

I agree with Snit... utter abuse of authority, and a violation of the code of ethics at any school I've ever attended, whether or not any influence was peddled directly. At 81, I suspect the prof has about used his brain up and he wasn't thinking right.

About the candle wax... I have a scar on my right foot where a cup of hot wax fell on it when I was 16, 17... I spent a month @ Bellvue hospital getting skin grafts. It took the skin off the top of my foot all the way down to the tendons.

IMHO, S/M people must live boring, unexciting lives to have to think up crap like dripping wax on each other.

Leigh