[lbo-talk] health care reform = revolution?

tfast at yorku.ca tfast at yorku.ca
Fri Aug 5 09:01:12 PDT 2005

Quoting Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>:

> Did you read the original post? I bet you didn't. So: please read the
> original post. I'll even summarize it for you, but please: read it.
> Read it for comprehension. The guy said that his dad and wife pay $1400
> for what they get. They pay much much more.
>
> -----
Jordan, buy you have not responded to the Guys (me) response or for that matter Doug's. Which illustrates that in the aggregate Cdn health care is cheap relative to the US and more effective. For society as whole universal health care is costly but in the case of comparsion less than --less than-- the non universal system that you have in the US. And last time I checked less inputs for more outputs = more effecient. That is a fully socialized system provides a higher level of economic effeciency than a hybrid public/private insurance system like the one Americans have.

And if we stick to my original post, all I was saying was that the amount he had to pay after his insurance kicked in exceeded what I had to pay to be insured for the full year. Which is true because I am below the low income cut-off so I do not pay premuiums nor income tax. So it is a cheap system for people like myself and it will be more expensive when and if I get a full time job that pays above the low income cut-off. Even so, as Doug pointed out, in the aggregate it is a cheaper system than you have.

All we are saying is give socialized health insurance a chance. Feel free to sing along if you like.

Travis