[lbo-talk] health care reform = revolution?

J. Tyler jptyler at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 6 14:30:41 PDT 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> So how come single payer initiative got slaughtered in
> Oregon, 80-20% a few yrs. ago. Single payer has gone down in
> flames in California several times.

What percentage of Oregonians actually voted? The electoral system usually isn't a very good measure of a policy's favorability among the public. In the first place, most people don't vote. In the second, voters are manipulated by misinformation. That said, I have no idea if Oregon's proposal was any good. And a merely state-wide single payer system probably has problems that might cause voting against it to be a rational act anyway.