[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:57:25 PDT 2005

Not really. Much of the info. on stoop labor comes from strawberries. For example, traditionally, geese were used for weeding grasses, but I don't think that that practice existed in Mexico. Also, organic produce sells for more. So, workers should get more money per stoop -- of course they do not. The extra goes to you-know-who.

Daniel D. was on the right track. You can't look at part of the complex system & make a determination. Strawberries are one of the most pesticided crops. So, in effect, you trade "stoops" for other health problems.

Joanna asked why working in the fields is bad. It is very bad, if you are working under coercion. In Cuba, that need not be the case -- but I don't know. Like Jim Devine, most of what I saw of Cuban ag. was from a bus window.

One more point. Most ag. technologies are not to increase yields. US yields are not particularly high. The purpose is to save on wages. It tends to be very fuel intensive, thus depending on low oil costs. Yet Cuba made the transition quite well from what I understand.

I assume that a better way to raise yields would be to give more power to the people who farm the land. Farmers used to say that the best fertilizer is the farmer's boot. Here in N. Cal., rice is planted from airplanes.

So the question is not whether to go back to the stone age, but to develop a system appropriate to people's [long-term] needs.