[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 15:00:30 PDT 2005

--- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Chris Doss wrote:

> I guess it's an epistemological problem: how do you
> know?

How do I know that Miles Jackson is a sentient being and experiences pain? ;)

You beat a cat -- cat howls in agony and suffers psychological damage.

You beat a cabbage -- the cabbage rolls around the room quietly.

To me, this is a no-brainer. (I am not a vegetarian, although I should be.)

I read Singer's Animal Liberation as a kid (I was probably about 12) by accident in the SDSU library and it made a big impression on me -- I can still remember the cover. I;m not saying I understood it, but I remember that his descriptions of the "lives" of animals in factory farms stuck with me for a long time.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs