[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

ravi lbo at kreise.org
Mon Aug 29 12:00:16 PDT 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> If you bite a living head of broccoli and you bite a
>> living chicken, don't you think you get different reactions?
>
> I guess it's an epistemological problem: how do you know? Perhaps
> plants are "sentient" in a way that we can't understand. It just
> seems anthropomorphic: if the reactions are not like humans'
> reactions, then it's okay to kill things. What is intrinsically
> better about animal life than plant life? (Again, I'm not trying
> to be facetious, I just don't get it.)

miles, you are indeed being facetious!! you could use a principle of least harm... while you may not know if the plant suffers, you *do* know that the animal does. when deciding what to kill so you might survive (your survival coming a bit above that of your victim, in your considerations) what you do know should be given higher precedence over what you do not, ceteris paribus...

--ravi