[lbo-talk] Alpizar Killing: Orlando Sentinel Readers Sound Off

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 09:54:05 PST 2005

--- Cmde. Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> opined:

> It seems to me that you and PC are too generous in
> your efforts to amend
> the morals of someone whose main motive seems to be
> an overwhelming fear
> that "someone" out there might hurt _him_, and that
> to fend off that
> distant threat it is necessary to long for a
> Leviathan that makes Hobbes
> seem an Esther Summerson in contrast. Cowardice of
> this sort is, I fear,
> beyond mending.

You see, Carrol, I travel a bit and most of it involves places where being attacked or killed is a real possibility. For example, my last trip was to Ethiopia when there was a travel advisory issued by both the British Foreign Office and the US Department of State. While there, I did make a tour of the city on foot, talking to people etc. and I can document that if you doubt. I did not feel particularly fearful, but I was not reckeless either.

While this is a part of my job, it is my decsion to go or not to go to any specific place. Thus far, I've never refused to travel overseas on the grounds of "safety" or "security."

Now, when was the last time that you left your state - not to mention the US borders?

Wojtek

Wojtek _______________________ DISCLAIMER: Opinions posted by this writer to this forum are solely forms of literary criticism exercised as the First Amendment right, and do not necessarily reflect the author's views or attitudes toward real-life people, including other writers posting to this forum, groups of people, institutions, or events to which the critiqued texts may refer, either explicitly or implicitly. Any statement asserting or implying such views or attitudes on the basis of this writer's opinions posted to this forum is thus unfounded, and may be libelous. ________________________