[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 20 12:36:46 PST 2005

Chip Berlet wrote:

> For the Record:
>
> I do not support censorship.
> I do not support "protecting" women from pornography.
> I do not think there is an established link between pornography and
> crime.
> I do not think viewing erotic images hurts people.
> I do not think reading erotic text hurts people.
>
> I think Hustler reflects a male supremacist viewpoint.
>
>[clip]
> think that writers who write for Hustler are making a mistake because
> they are giving an imprimatur to a male suppremacist organ (you should
> pardon the pun).
>
> I think this is bad politics. I think this is not a wise way to build a
> progressive coalition. I will not write for Hustler. I urge other
> writers to not write for Hustler. [clip]

And immediately after

Gar Lipow wrote:

> On 12/20/05, Chip Berlet <c.berlet at publiceye.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > To clarify the Hustler issue, I seek gender equality and fairness and do
> > not think Hustler reflects such a system. While I do not support
> > shutting down Hustler, or even expending much energy protesting it, I
> > think that writers who write for Hustler are making a mistake because
> > they are giving an imprimatur to a male suppremacist organ (you should
> > pardon the pun).
> >
> <snip>
>
> And that is what you have not supported. In what sense is Hustler a
> male supremacist organ in a way that the NY Times is not?

Gar could not conceivably write this (placing the burden of proof on Chip) except for the fact that pro-pornography has long been established as THE PARTY LINE, THE ACCEPTED DOGMA on the left, and anyone who even remotely questions that dogma is immeidately ganged up on.

Carrol