[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper's flipping out over Churchill

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Feb 7 13:38:38 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: <philion at stolaf.edu> "How about being able to condemn BOTH actions by the US and actions by its enemies that kill innocents?"

-Your belief that the majority of the antiwar movement didn't do that is -nonsense.

I never said a majority didn't do this. As I noted, right after 911, there was a majority to condemn the WTC killers and call for them to be brought to justice. The minority, however, preferred to undemocratically strip that principle late at night and piss off a lot of that majority, many of whom walked away from protests rather than be associated with the ANSWER types leading the antiwar movement in 2001 and 2002.

The point is that a minority can easily alienate a majority, which is why it's important for the broad left to clearly condemn comments like Churchill's. It's not to appeal to the rightwing but to appeal to the progressives who want a clear moral message from the antiwar movement.

Nathan Newman