[lbo-talk] Class Analysis of the Empire?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:23:59 PST 2005

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>In my opinion, all three ideas above should be criticized and
>>rejected, but criticisms of the empire (as well as criticisms of
>>Israel) are often couched in moral terms that partake of one or more
>>of them. For the last several years, we have seen outpourings of
>>books and articles critical of US imperialism (and Israel), but
>>class analyses of the empire, especially ones that clarify American
>>workers' positions in it (or ones that clarify Jewish workers'
>>positions in Israel), are hard to come by, perhaps because of the
>>waning of Marxism. That's a big problem we need to rectify.
>
>I couldn't agree more. So how do we start? I'd really love a
>rigorous analysis of just how much imperialism contributes to the
>U.S. standard of living today, but I don't know of any. Any ideas?
>
>Doug

A couple of years ago, when the topic of imperialism came up on PEN-l, I looked into some research databases searching for empirical studies of "costs" and "benefits" of "empire." There are a good deal of books and articles by economic historians on the topic with regard to the British Empire -- fewer on US imperialism, it seems. All of them that I have been able to track down (e.g., <http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-820565-1>) do cost-benefit accounting in national terms, not in class terms. Very interesting (one of these days I'll compile a selective annotated bibliography of them), but not exactly what I was looking for. Maybe, I didn't look into the right databases, but I suspect that nationalism is built into research methods, as it were. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>