[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 12:44:49 PST 2005

> Well, obviously. But how is it defending Newman,
> Pug, and others on that
> list to describe them as provacateurs or place them
> in the same category? I
> don't really care if he's saying we should just
> tolerate them, that kind of
> talk is just plain bullshit and leads to the very
> witch hunts everyone says
> they want to avoid.

I think the idea here is that any and all of the above parties-- and more-- represent, yes, a TERRAIN on which we operate. Obviously Churchill, the Weathermen, people on this list, etc., are not all in the same category. Rather, there are all different sorts of bumps and dips on the landscape, and there will ALWAYS be. And if the "left" gains ground in any substantive way, I think we can expect more of a variegated terrain, not less.

Those who speak and operate in any of these contexts are not saints sent by God in Heaven to deliver a Message. The people we hear from, and the ideas they express at any given time are the results of historico-material circumstances. If they are delivering a message some find embarassing, repulsive, etc., we should not be sitting around scratching our heads.

--adx

===== "Mary Poppins is alive and well in Argentina, she sends her regards." - Rod McKuen, The Mud Kids