[lbo-talk] Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 13:34:44 PST 2005

At 03:44 PM 2/18/2005, amadeus amadeus wrote:
> > Well, obviously. But how is it defending Newman,
> > Pug, and others on that
> > list to describe them as provacateurs or place them
> > in the same category? I
> > don't really care if he's saying we should just
> > tolerate them, that kind of
> > talk is just plain bullshit and leads to the very
> > witch hunts everyone says
> > they want to avoid.
>
>I think the idea here is that any and all of the above
>parties-- and more-- represent, yes, a TERRAIN on
>which we operate. Obviously Churchill, the Weathermen,
>people on this list, etc., are not all in the same
>category.

you are new here, right? because Carrol has a long, long antipathy to Pug, Newman, and now apparently, Dawson. As well as the Weathermen. Placing them all on the same order as provacateurs is horseshit and I don't find your defense of his comments especially compelling. And, although I love Carrol and very much admire and respect him -- I'm not sure why my post elicited the Pope-like ex cathedra lecture.

Where exactly in anything I wrote was I caterwauling about this terrain? I was trying to bring some understanding to T Brown's comments, putting them in context. I wasn't denouncing Chruchill _or_ Thomas. So, why does my post elicit the concern that I'm caterwauling about some terrain I just can't deal with.

As for the rest, I believe I already addressed this in my response to him AND yoshie. Anything new to add? Scratch that. I'm bitchy and I'm disgusted by the refusal to see how harmful it is to even suggest that newman or pugliese or dawson are provacateurs or should be characterized as deserving to sit in the same textual space. There was an equivalence made there that is truly disturbing to me and it should be to everyone else it.

It's not? So fuckin' be it.

kelley