[lbo-talk] Re: conspiracy

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 14 08:25:13 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Chip Berlet To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 7:37 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: conspiracy

Hi,

Actually, I am with Kelley on this one.

This type of operation is not unusual in hardball politics. Remember the manipulation of Ed Muskie? [ ... ] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ed Muskie? Hunter S. Thomson believed Muskie was an Ibogaine addict, a substance that allows native hunters to remain alert but motionless for long periods of time. It also increases gullibiliy and suggestibility according to an associate of mine who shall remain nameless.

Was HST part of a CIA smear campaign? Or perhaps HST was right.

Ed Muskie was being used as a crash test dummy by MK-Ultra mind control operatives... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Yeeeah.

L ~~~~~~~~~

[ ... ] The wikipedia entries on Conspiracy Theory and Conspiracism are actually useful. (OK. I wrote the one on Conspiracism).

Conspiracy Theory

"A conspiracy theory is a theory that defies common historical or current understanding of events, under the claim that those events are the result of manipulations by two or more individuals or various secretive powers or conspiracies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

Conspiracism

According to Mintz, "conspiracism" denotes "belief in the primacy of conspiracies in the unfolding of history" (1985: 4).

"Conspiracism serves the needs of diverse political and social groups in America and elsewhere. It identifies elites, blames them for economic and social catastrophes, and assumes that things will be better once popular action can remove them from positions of power. As such, conspiracy theories do not typify a particular epoch or ideology" (1985: 199).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracism

-Chip <>

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.6.11 - Release Date: 1/12/2005